At your dance class, your instructor will take you on a journey; starting with a warm up to get your body ready to move, followed by sections that gradually build in intensity, peaking half way through the class, and then gradually return your body to where it started. If you are using the DVD at home, you’ll also follow a similar flow of exercise effort and routines.
Whether you’re at one of our dance classes or in your living room, you can expect to have a go at the following sections.
- The ‘Reel’ follows the warm up and is based on the traditional Ceilidh dances called the Dashing White Sargent and Virginia Reel.
- You then move onto the ‘Polka’ which is little more intense and inspired by the Ceilidh dances – the Military Two Step and Britannia Two Step.
- Then it’s time to ‘Jig’, giving you a good aerobic workout and derived from Gay Gordons and the Irish Dance the Siege of Ennis as well as highland dance.
- The ‘Strathspey’, based on Canadian Barn Dance, then brings down the intensity and focuses on full body conditioning exercises.
- You then finish off your toning with the ‘Core’ track, which you guessed correctly, aims to strengthen and sculpt your abdominal muscles.
Just as you’d expect with any group exercise or dance classes, this is all wrapped up with a cool down which is a well-deserved stretch after all your hard work. There you go, a full body aerobic workout to fling you into great shape!